PMP Certification FAQs
Interested in pursuing the PMP certification and taking your career to the next level? Join the over 400,000 project managers world-wide!
Below are some simple FAQs to help you get started. For a complete description of the PMP certification, please download the PMP Handbook.
- Where do I start?
- PMI Global administers the entire PMP certification process and has complete resources about the credential at www.pmi.org/Certification.aspx
- What do I do to get certified?
- The PMP certification is obtained by qualifying for, taking, and passing an exam.
- What qualifies me to take the exam?
- If you have a four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent) you must have completed at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
- If you have a secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) you must have completed at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
- What counts as a “Contact Hour” of education?
- A “Contact Hour” is one hour of specific instruction that addresses learning objectives in project management. PMI Registered Education Providers and PMI Component organizations are pre-approved to provide contact hours. You can also obtain contact hours through employer sponsored trainings, private training companies, or university/college academic programs.
- What counts as “Project Management Experience”?
- “Project Management Experience” is the time that you have spent leading or directing projects. When calculating the number of months of experience, any month in which you lead multiple projects only counts as one month. When calculating the total hours of experience all hours spent leading or directing projects, including overlapping projects, can be counted.
- How do I set up a testing location?
- The standard method of administration for the PMP and all PMI examinations is Computer-Based Testing (CBT). Prometric is PMI’s examination administration partner. You can access a list of their test centers and schedule an exam online at www.prometric.com/PMI.
- We recommend that you schedule the examination as soon as you select a date on which you want to take it and at least three months before the expiration of your eligibility period.
- How should I prepare for the exam?